Cheesy Sauerkraut Pierogi
Recipe by Living the Gourmet
Prep time: 15
Cook time: 20
Pierogies are a simple delight that the entire family can enjoy.
For the Pierogi Dough:
1. In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together ingredients for the dough until it is slightly sticky and tacky. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Shape in disk and wrap in clingfilm. Refrigerate until ready to use.
For the Filling & Making of Pierogis:
2. In a large bowl, mash potatoes. Set aside.
3. In a fry pan, sauté the sausage with the minced garlic until fully cooked. Add in sauerkraut, peas, salt and pepper. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add to the mashed potatoes along with the shredded cheese. Mix until fully incorporated.
4. Once ready, turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface. Roll out until ¼-inch thick and use a 3-inch round glass or pastry cutter to cut out the rounds for the pierogi.
5. Fill with about 1 teaspoon of filling and fold into a halfmoon shape. Gently but firmly seal the pierogi by pinching and squeezing the edges together. Continue with remaining dough and filling.
6. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the pierogi no more than 6 or so at a time. You do not want to overcrowd them. Once the pierogi float to the top, they are done. Carefully drain them and place on a nonstick baking sheet until ready to fry.
7. In a large pan, with a drizzle of olive oil, give the pierogis a quick fry on each side, until golden and a little crispy.
8. In a fry pan, sauté a sweet onion until caramelized. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Once translucent and golden, set aside.
9. In the same fry pan, cook the bacon strips. Drain on a paper towel lined plate.
10. Once ready to serve, plate the pierogi with sautéed onions. Crumble the bacon strips on top along with the chives and a bowl of sour cream for dipping on the side.